Ok, the cell phone didn’t do a very good job earlier…and now I know that even a good camera isn’t going to make this very easy. Until I dig out one of my grey cards It’s going to be up to you to use your imagination as to how our living room looks. Despite knowing the temperature of our light bulbs (I’ve put warm 2800k CFL’s into almost every fixture, the fan lights are off since they don’t match) I still had a hard time getting the white ballance correct on my camera…and the JPG conversion – I need to find time to process the RAW’s to get these colors accurate. The first one is closest to reality – though the red isn’t really that intense. Even so we’ve decided on a replacement that is more in line with the existing green wall and this new blue.
BTW – when I worked in a one hour photo lab I used to HATE people who would bring in photos like this. If you never saw the scene it’s real hard to tell what the color should be like! The only mainipulation on these photos was done entirely in-camera. The poor camera in this case is faced with the same issues I had to deal with manually choosing color corrections for a roll of film that I had no baseline for. It’s a lot easier to fix now with photoshop than it was with heavy correction filters and multiple attempts (each wasting paper and chemicals) but it’s still tough to make the final call.
When we get the new red and re-paint I’ll take some better full living room shots to show off the changes. No photos of the 3rd bedroom yet…I dug in yesterday before Amy got home and with about 4 hours spent between the two of us it’s starting to take form. Still a mostly disorganized pile of boxes…but it’s about half as big of a pile as it was before! There are also 3 bookcases and 2 desks setup already.
I also have a project in the backyard that I’m working on. That will have to wait for another post. I’m experimenting with using Picasa to ease including photos…but I’m not big on it yet. I recently had to move my hitesman.com domain from the provier it had been with for over a decade to one of the servers I administrate for MGM Internet Solutions. I’ve been meaning to do it for some time and an e-mail issue finally gave me the excuse to pull the plug. Now I have much more control over my domain and will be able to persue some other ideas with it again. But until then it’s looking like Picassa is ok for using one or two photos…but add more than that and they may not come through. It’s also easy to mess up the alignment and the generated HTML is pretty gnarly (I need to cut and paste into my editor to see if some hilighting will make it more tolerable to read.) The backyard project will have quite a few photos and I don’t want to break it into THAT many posts…